Homeschooling a Large Family
Any homeschooling family with more than one child knows the challenges of keeping "destructo" baby for destroying the house in ten minutes during school hours! Nursing babies, fussy babies, and destructive, energetic toddlers.. what do you do with all of the little ones while teaching school?
Sometimes, if you were to walk in my house you would see groceries needed to be put away, 10 loads of laundry needed to be folded, supper not on the table; in fact, lunch is still on the table, babies crying, toys out, I am still in my jammies, beds not made, and chaos reigning.
On the other hand, on any given day, you could see the children set on our schedule, which keeps us all happy and moving along in a clean house, my 6 children doing school, all the laundry folded ready to be put away, my two year old napping, the 5 year old playing quietly, and supper in the crock pot ready for a family supper together.
Having a organized house is not the easiest goal to attain when raising a large family and homeschooling on top of it all...in fact, it's impossible... sometimes! But can it be done?
We have set up a schedule this year that will hopefully prove to be a either a success...or...a Zoo!!
For those of you who want a peak into my schedule...hold on...are you ready?
1. Every one up, showered, and dressed by 7:00, to meet at the breakfast table for breakfast and prayer.
2. ALL children clean up the kitchen (more on our fast cleanup method later).
3. 7:45 - all children 1st to 10th grade at their desks starting school.
Meanwhile...I straighten the upstairs and dress my 2 year old and 5 year old, throw a load in the washer, run the vacuum...
4. 9:00 - start my kindergartener on school and help all other children as we plod on...
5. 12:00-1 break for lunch and recess.
6. Nap and rest time for the 2 year old and kindergartener.
7. 1:00 - Autumn's music (violin)
8. 2:00 - Joshua's music (violin)
9. 3:00-4 DO NOT BOTHER MOM TIME!!!! I need quiet!!
10. 5:30 - supper
11. 7:00 - Family devotions
12. 7:30 - bed time for 4 little ones.
13. 8:30 - bed time for next 3 big ones.
14. 9:00 - Bed time for oldest.
15. ALL KIDS ARE IN BED!!!!!!
This is really my schedule...each child has their own charts and schedules they follow. This helps me keep up with cleaning, school, baths, etc.
Sometime I might share their chore charts and schedules...
Are we always organized!! Ha Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Can you hear me laughing? The goal is to be...if there is not a goal, what would there be to reach for?
I can do all thinks through Christ who strengthens me!!
9/12/2010 02:08:31 pm
Hey Girl! Thanks for the sneak peek into your schedule. I was VERY pleased to see that my schedule was very much like yours.... a great compliment to myself, lol! You are well known for being "on top of things" despite what you say! =) Everybody's happier when they know what to do and when to do it. Of course, if everything always ran on schedule, life would be pretty boring! =) (And you KNOW that being married to Stephen is ANYTHING but predictable!) I think of you often and pray for you. Hope your school year has started off well! Happy teaching/mothering!
Leave a Reply.
God reached down in love and rescued Cassandra from her sin at the age of 21: changing her life, purpose, and focus forever.